Beira's Place: A Safe Haven for Women
Beira's Place is a women's refuge based in Edinburgh, Scotland that provides safe and supportive accommodation for women and children who are fleeing domestic violence. JK Rowling set up Beira's Place in 2022. The organization is named after the Celtic goddess of winter, who is associated with protection and new beginnings.
Beira's Place offer a range of services to help women rebuild their lives, including:
- Safe and secure accommodation: We provide safe and secure accommodation for women and children who are fleeing domestic violence. Our homes are located in quiet, residential areas, and we have a team of experienced staff who are on call 24 hours a day to provide support and guidance.
- Counselling and support: We offer counselling and support to help women deal with the emotional and practical effects of domestic violence. Our counsellors are experienced in working with women who have been abused, and they can provide support and guidance on a range of issues, including:
- Coping with the trauma of abuse: Our counsellors can help women to understand and cope with the trauma of abuse. They can also provide support in dealing with feelings of anger, fear, and guilt.
- Making decisions about your future: Our counsellors can help you to make decisions about your future, such as whether to stay in your relationship, file for divorce, or get a restraining order.
- Finding safe and affordable housing: Our counsellors can help you to find safe and affordable housing. They can also provide support in dealing with landlords and letting agents.
- Advocacy: We can advocate on your behalf with other agencies, such as the police, social services, and housing providers. We can also help you to access benefits and other financial assistance.
If you are a woman who is fleeing domestic violence, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you.
There are many ways that you can help Beira's Place continue to provide vital services to women and children who are fleeing domestic violence. You can:
- Donate money: Your donation will help us to provide safe and secure accommodation, counselling and support, and advocacy to women and children who are fleeing domestic violence.
- Volunteer your time: We are always looking for volunteers to help with a variety of tasks, such as fundraising, providing support to clients, and running educational workshops.
- Spread the word: Let your friends, family, and colleagues know about Beira's Place and the services that we offer.
Together, we can make a difference in the lives of women and children who are experiencing domestic violence.