We're rooted in a vision of a just food system. Focusing on how kids eat, grow & learn about food (#farmtoschool) is our way of moving this vision into reality.
Farmtoschool.org is the website of the National Farm to School Network, a nonprofit organization that works to ensure equitable access to local food and nutrition education in order to improve children's health, strengthen family farms and cultivate vibrant communities.
The website provides a wealth of resources for communities that are interested in starting or expanding their Farm to School programs, including:
- A comprehensive toolkit with information on all aspects of farm to school, from policy development to curriculum planning
- A searchable database of farm to school programs across the country
- A blog with news and updates on the farm to school movement
- A variety of resources for educators, including lesson plans, recipes and activity ideas
The National Farm to School Network is a valuable resource for anyone who is interested in making a difference in the lives of children and their communities through the power of local food.
Here are some of the benefits of Farm to School programs:
- Improved nutrition: Students who eat local food are more likely to consume fruits, vegetables and other healthy foods.
- Reduced hunger: Farm to school programs can help to reduce hunger by providing students with access to healthy, affordable food.
- Increased academic achievement: Students who eat healthy foods are more likely to perform better in school.
- Stronger local economies: Farm to school programs can help to support local farmers and businesses.
- Increased environmental sustainability: Farm to school programs can help to reduce food miles and support sustainable agricultural practices.