The People's Coalition on Food Sovereignty (PCFS) is a global network of organizations working to achieve food sovereignty. Food sovereignty is the right of peoples to define their own food and agriculture systems. It means that people have the right to produce their own food, to control their own food systems, and to access healthy and nutritious food.
The PCFS was founded in 2001 and has grown to include over 600 organizations from around the world. The PCFS works to promote food sovereignty through a variety of activities.
PCFS activities for food justice across the world:
- Research and analysis of food and agriculture issues
- Advocacy for policies that support food sovereignty
- Capacity building for farmers, fisherfolk, and other food producers
- Networking and collaboration with other organizations working for food sovereignty
The PCFS believes that food sovereignty is essential for achieving food security, environmental sustainability, and social justice.
Here are some of the ways that the PCFS is making a difference:
- The PCFS has played a key role in the development of the International Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and Other People Working in Rural Areas. This declaration is a landmark document that recognizes the rights of peasants and other rural people to land, water, seeds, and other resources.
- The PCFS has lobbied governments around the world to adopt policies that support food sovereignty. In 2018, the PCFS was instrumental in the passage of a resolution at the United Nations that called for a global movement for food sovereignty.
- The PCFS has trained thousands of farmers, fisherfolk, and other food producers in the principles of food sovereignty. These trainings have helped people to develop the skills and knowledge they need to produce their own food and to defend their rights to land, water, and other resources.
- The PCFS has built a strong network of organizations working for food sovereignty. This network provides a forum for people to share information and experiences, and to coordinate their efforts to achieve food sovereignty.
The PCFS is committed to working with people from all over the world to build a food system that is based on the principles of justice, equity, and sustainability. The PCFS believes that food sovereignty is essential for achieving food security, environmental sustainability, and social justice.
Here are some of the things that you can do to help:
- Join the PCFS. The PCFS is a global network of organizations working to achieve food sovereignty. By joining the PCFS, you can become part of a movement that is working to create a more just and sustainable food system.
- Donate to the PCFS. The PCFS is a non-profit organization that relies on donations to support its work. Your donation will help the PCFS to continue its work of promoting food sovereignty and building a more just and sustainable food system.
- Volunteer your time. The PCFS is always looking for volunteers to help with its work. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the PCFS.
- Spread the word. Tell your friends and family about the PCFS and its work to achieve food sovereignty. Together, we can create a more just and sustainable food system.