The Stockport Plaza is a historic Art Deco cinema and variety theatre located in Stockport, Greater Manchester, England. It was built in 1932 and is a Grade II* listed building. The Plaza has a seating capacity of 1,200 and is used for a variety of events, including films, live music, and comedy shows.
The Stockport Plaza was originally opened on 21 September 1932 with a gala performance of the film "The Sign of the Cross". The theatre was designed by the architect W. E. Trent and was built by the Stockport Corporation. The Plaza was an immediate success and soon became one of the most popular venues in Stockport.
In the 1950s, the Plaza began to show films in CinemaScope and in the 1960s, it was converted to a single screen cinema. The Plaza continued to show films until 1986, when it closed for a major refurbishment. The refurbishment was completed in 1988 and the Plaza reopened as a multi-screen cinema.
In 2007, the Plaza was taken over by the Stockport Plaza Trust, a charitable trust dedicated to preserving and restoring the theatre. The Trust has since carried out a number of projects to improve the Plaza, including the installation of a new sound system and the refurbishment of the auditorium.
The Stockport Plaza is a popular venue for a variety of events, including films, live music, and comedy shows. The theatre is also used for community events, such as film screenings and dance classes. The Plaza is a valuable asset to the Stockport community and is a popular destination for people of all ages.
There is also the Plaza Cafe which is located on the first floor of the theatre, above the auditorium. The cafe is accessible via a staircase or lift. It is open from 11am to 3pm, Wednesday to Saturday. The cafe serves a variety of food and drinks, including sandwiches, cakes, and coffee. The cafe is a popular spot for people to relax and enjoy a meal before or after a show.