Local seed banks are a real asset to communities
Local seed banks are a valuable resource for communities. They provide access to a variety of seeds that may not be available at commercial seed stores. They help to preserve genetic diversity, which is important for food security.
There are many different types of local seed banks. Some are run by community organizations, while others are run by government agencies. Some seed banks focus on collecting and storing seeds from heirloom varieties, while others focus on collecting and storing seeds from open-pollinated varieties.
No matter what type of local seed bank you choose to support, you can be sure that you are helping to promote food sovereignty and resilience in your community.
Here are some of the benefits:
- Access to a variety of seeds: Local seed banks often have a wider variety of seeds than commercial seed stores. This is because they collect seeds from a variety of sources, including heirloom varieties, open-pollinated varieties, and native varieties.
- Support for local businesses: When you buy seeds from a local seed bank, you are supporting a local business. This helps to keep money in your community and support the local economy.
- Preservation of genetic diversity: They help to preserve genetic diversity by collecting and storing seeds from a variety of varieties. This is important for food security, as it ensures that there is a wide variety of seeds available in case of crop failure or other disruptions.
- Education about seed saving: Often offer educational programs about seed saving. This can help you learn how to save seeds from your own plants, which can save you money and reduce your environmental impact.
If you are interested in finding a local seed bank, there are a few things you can do:
- Ask your local nursery or garden center if they know of any.
- Search online for "local seed banks" in your area.
- Contact your local government agency to see if they have any information.
Once you have found a few, you can visit them to learn more about their programs and services. You can also contact them to find out how you can get involved.